THE 2017 APPLICATION IS NOW OPEN.
The LIVE OUT LOUD Educational Scholarship was created to provide financial support for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer (LGBTQ) youth who are pursuing a college degree. Through this scholarship, LGBTQ youth can apply for funds to pay for educationally related expenses to pursue a degree from an accredited college, university, or technical/vocational program. This year Live Out Loud is awarding 3 scholarships for $10,000.00 each.
Application Guidelines and Procedures
- This award is open only to Graduating High School seniors who identify as LGBTQ.
- Applicants need to be from the Tri-State area including New York, Connecticut, and New Jersey.
- Award criteria are based on the demonstration of past leadership and community service involvement, academic credentials, personal essay, letters of recommendation, an individual interview, financial need, and future goals.
- Applicants must send (a) the completed application form; (b) two letters of recommendation; (c) two essays.
- Finalists must participate in an individual interview that will be scheduled in February 2017.
- The scholarships will be awarded at a ceremony on March 28, 2017.
- All applications must be complete for consideration.
- Live Out Loud must receive all applications no later than January 15, 2017. Any incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Live Out Loud is not required to award all 3 scholarships annually. Awards are given only to applicants approved by the Scholarship Committee based on the criteria above.
Past scholarships have been awarded to students who:
- Started a GSA at their school
- Implemented an anti-bully campaign
- Broke gender boundaries by being the first girl to demand her right to be on her school’s previously all-boys wrestling team.
- Expanded the discrimination policy in a high school to include sexual orientation, gender equality, and gender identification
Scholarship Awarding Process
Scholarship awards will not be distributed until Live Out Loud receives all required documentation, including a copy of the acceptance letter from the institution the student will be attending and verification of attendance by the relevant admissions office. Live Out Loud will distribute awards directly to the educational institution only, and only upon verification of attendance.
Please direct questions to: JD@liveoutloud.info.
Click here to download application form